Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Gay Scouting


I made the pledge a while ago to forsake being an Eagle Scout if Scouting allowed open gays in, which they did this past week.  I worked hard to be an Eagle Scout and I've worked hard to keep it writing letters, making phone calls and interacting with lobby group OnMyHonor.net.


I'm not sure yet how to return my Eagle Pin but in the mean time I've written a letter to the IndyStar explaining my stance.  I wrote one at the end of February that was published and I pray they publish this one.  Thank you for those of who have been supportive and encouraging with this. Here's a copy of the letter:

---------
As a Boy Scout I was taught to stand where you’re supposed to, help others, and to be a leader.  The BSA has always been intimately linked with Christianity.  As I have read through some of Scouting’s history it seemed that the relationship was so strong that it was common knowledge and not something debated.  The relationship still lingers though the prominence wanes.


As the age has passed and Scouting has expanded, it’s basics stayed the same, it’s foundation solid.  Sure, there’s a computer merit badge now and there wasn’t in 1911, Scouting does have progress, I won’t hinder that.  The conundrum is that the recent change isn’t progressive, it’s regressive.  Instead of holding to what makes Scouting important--the lessons I was taught as a Scout--Scouting has forgotten itself.  The recent change was not brought about because it is what is best, but because outside pressure told Scouting what to do; this change happened because of fear and cowardice.  It’s contrary to what is Scouting.


I’m not afraid to be hated.  As a Christian I’m gaining a “progressive” comfort with being hated.  I still hold to the values I was taught as a Boy Scout.  I add them to the values I’ve learned from the Bible and the examples set to me by elder men.  I still hold open doors for people and do community service projects but the Church has taught me to add self-sacrifice.  I wrote to the IndyStar some time ago stating that if the BSA changed their policy on open gays then I would return my Eagle Scout pin (and all awards, honors and privileges).  It’s not because of hate, but because I need to be willing to sacrifice everything to be a leader, to help others, and to stand where they're supposed to.  I’ll lead my brothers in Christ by standing on Truth.  I’ll help others by continuing to counsel to, eat with, and love ALL (I don’t discriminate) sinners, which I am one.  And I’ll stand where I’m supposed to, which is in the gap in the defenses where evil pours.  Christ did these things at the cost of his life.  Who am I if I’m not willing to give up being an Eagle Scout, to say nothing of sacrificing it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment