Saturday, September 6, 2014

Not by my strength

There's been a lot going on in my life the last couple of months.  I won't bore with details but suffice to say that my burdens have increased and are heavy.  At first it was hard, then my burden increased to the point I had to live by faith and was not able to rely on my own strength.  Then it was easy, for a time.

Now as the trials continue, and will not be lifted soon, a new temptations and struggles have arisen.  It has become apparent to me that one of the many lessons God is teaching me is to simply "man-up" and stop being a little whiny kid about things.  It may sound harsh to say that but it's the standard progression of the lesson on living by faith that I'm being taught.  The temptation with the lesson of "manning up" is to be strong with your own strength.  God has grown me into a man and I have the ability to, by a sheer force of personality, to dominate the situation, regain control, and begin solving or bettering the situations that are currently burdens.  The problem is, that is not the lesson God is trying to teach me by manning up.  God sometimes uses the strength He has given men to work for His good but it is God's modus operandi (M.O.) to use the weak and not the strong.  God using the weak magnifies His glory and not the glory of the creation (man).  The world would have me cast away my burdens or to turn these 'weaknesses' into strengths.  I have enough strength to do that, but that is from the world's wisdom, and not from God's.

Here are ways that I am to grow in regarding living by faith (no particular order):

1. Release control of certain situations, particularly where I am not the major party involved.  I am not the only one God is entrusting with burdens or experiencing suffering because of sin.  I should not try to hold things together by my own strength.  My control of many situations is a feint masking #2.

2. Be with out anxiety in all things.  I want control and do not have it.  I cannot be honoring to God with out taking rest in His providence.  This does not mean I am to be with out concern or to be indifferent or apathetic.  It means that I may not fear things that are out of my control but must be at ease because God loves me and will care for me, even if I can't immediately see it.

3. Pray more.  I simply do not pray enough.

4.  Bear others burdens more.  "One-anothering" is prominent in the New Testament.  Suffering, sacrifices, and trials make clear the blessings already obtained and open the door for many new ones.  Who am I, with all my blessings, to not share them and pour them out to others?  There is much more room in my life to help others with their struggles and to help bless them.  I have been given great examples by my church family and now am with out excuse.

5. Listen more.  This may sound easy but it's more involved then just a time burden.  It's not about letting someone talk then walking away but it's about actually hearing them speak, engaging in what they're saying, and desiring more.  Love, as taught by Christ, is sacrificial.  Listen, and don't just wait for my turn to speak, or my chance to get up and leave.  Also, to listen and hear what they're trying to say and not just what the words were.

6. Speak truth more.  When it is time to speak, I need to not be shy or fearful of saying what is true.  This sometimes means saying words that hurt and words that cannot be taken back.  Sometimes truth is a wedge dividing and not a rope binding.  Simply knowing truth and not speaking it is to not know truth.  For example, it is not enough to know the Gospel, if I am unwilling to tell people about it.

7. Work harder.  God has given me much work to do but has not lengthened the day at all.  I must work harder to get it all done, and I must get it all done.  This is true not just with the day job, but with all forms of work be it home maintenance, discipleship of brothers, visiting with those that need visiting etc.

8. Be joyful.  A man who is saved by grace and serving at the pleasure of the King in Heaven will not be sad.  There is a time for sorrow and a time for joy and my time for sorrow is passed.  Being joyful can take work sometimes and it is often challenging work but making the decision to be joyful is much of the battle.  Laugh harder, longer, and more often.  Smile a lot and be willing to let go of the sad things to hold on to the blessings I have been given.

No comments:

Post a Comment